The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

Wednesday 25 March 2015

Men in Horror: DAVID BERNSTEIN


Ahhhh David. Now here is a person that put together a phrase and knock it out of the park. I do believe David and I share DEAD HARVEST by Mark Parker together, and his was one of the standouts among the 50 stories. Quite the feat in a 3 pound book!

Do not I believe I have read anything else by David....yet. But I will. This guy is talented. 

1.     When did you start writing horror?

I wrote my first horror story when I was in Kindergarten. It was a two-sided, hand-written (some letters backwards) haunted house story. I still have it today. Of course, my mom saved it.

2.   Have you written in any other genre?

I wrote a non-horror story about a kid getting bullied in high school. Other than that, Sci Fi. But not Star Trek like sci fi, more Alien like scifi. I have written mostly horror, but I like to mix it up, like Sci Fi /horror and even fantasy horror. My novel Tears of No Return is a sci-fi, supernatural, action, urban fantasy horror novel. A totally mixed bag. It's very different than my other stuff. Machines of the Dead is an action zombie horror series, but sci fi based.

3.  What makes you uncomfortable?

Talking in front of a large crowd. That's true horror.



4.  Does your family read your work?

Yes. My parents read all my stuff. But there was one book I didn't give my mother to read. She loves horror, but not extreme. However, I gave her The Unhinged anyway, which is my most extreme horror novel)  If she can get through it, I might just give her Jackpot.

5.  Does your writing make you uneasy?

Not at all. I used to draw cartoons of people getting cut up and mauled when I was younger. Lots of blood, chainsaws and machetes in action. My friends loved it. Now I do the same, just in the written form.

6.  Who would you say you write like?

I'm not sure. I do know that I have to be careful about what I read when I'm writing. Sometimes if I'm really into a book, it can affect the way I write. I find myself adapting to the style a bit. Or if I'm reading a present tense book, I sometimes find present tense in my writing, which I never do. At least I haven't yet.

7.  Who are your favourite authors?

Too  many to name. But a few are King, Scott Smith (wish he'd write more), Jack Ketchum, Sarah Langan, Ray Garton, Edward Lee, Graham Masterton, Lee Child, Raymond Carver, Dixon, and more.

8.  Who influences you as a writer?

I think my above mentioned favorite authors. Also, movies. I see a great movie and it makes me want to write.

9. Do you remember what your first horror book was that you read?

If I remember correctly, it was The Gunslinger. But is that REALLY horror? If not, then it's probably King's It.

10.  How old were you?

Twelve. Not sure. So long ago! I originally bought The Gunslinger because I liked the cover. Had it in my room for some time, then I went on a vacation with my family and brought it along and read it. I read It in ninth grade. I hated school and hated reading. Then a friend of mine gave me It and I couldn't believe how great it was. Of course, it didn't help me get my school work done, if anything, it made schoolwork worse because I'd rather being reading. The Talisman was next!

11.  Is there any subject you will not touch as an author?

Anything's game I think.

12.  What was the best advice you were given as a writer?

To write. It's that simple. Just write. Get it out and don't stop. Write when you want to write and when you don't want to write. You go to work when you don't want to and when you aren't feeling your best. Writing is no different.

13.  If you had to start all over again, what would you do different?

Pay attention in school, especially English classes!

14.  How many books do you read a year?

Anywhere from 1 to 3 books a month. More if they are novellas. Reading is key to writing. I don't understand how people say they want to write but don't have time to read or don't want to read. How the hell else are you going to grow and stay fresh at the craft? Read shitty stuff too, it'll show you things, amazing things!

15.  Do you write every day?

I try to write 5 days a week for at least 3 hours a day. More if I can. If I stop writing for a few days I find it harder and harder to get back into it.






Please provide Amazon, Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, Blog Links

davidbernsteinauthor.blogspot.com

Twitter:  @bernsteinauthor

Facebook: www.facebook.com/david.bernstein.3



2 comments:

  1. David also happens to be one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He helps fellow horror writers when ever he can, he's helped me several times with everything from story titles to deciding when to release certain stories. He's an awesome, friendly guy and writes amazingly well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave is such a nice guy for drawing pictures of people being chainsawed and cut up!! He's a great writer and a great person. Nice answers Dave!! Depending what you like, Malina, try reading Witch Island.

    ReplyDelete