The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

Thursday 19 February 2015

Women in Horror: SANDY SHELONCHIK

Unfortunately I have not read any of Sandy's work, but I am friends with her and one thing I do know is she is a firecracker, not a person you want to mess with and a great, although wonky, sense of humour. But then, don't we all.

Sandy is a women I respect and admire, as all my WIH friends are. We are definitely a breed apart. Some of us are a little whackier than others (I will let you decide where we all fit on the scale) and we all love great books.




When did you start writing horror?


I started about two or three years ago. I had never thought about writing until I went to a writer’s convention with my boyfriend, author David Bernstein. On that particular convention’s website, Necon.com, I saw that they had monthly contests of flash fictions, which meant stories of 100 words or less. I thought to myself, I can do that, and so I did. My first flash was accepted shortly thereafter, and the publisher told me how awesome it was. Needless to say, I was hooked (and very pleased.)

Have you written in any other genre?

I have some works awaiting edits. They are thrillers mixed with love stories, supernatural etc., but I find it very hard to stay away from making them horror.

What makes you uncomfortable?

Heights, death, being buried alive, dirty toilets, any and all bugs, vomit, sewing people’s mouths shut, having one’s Achilles heel severed, drowning, fingernails being ripped or broken off, talk about ghosts and the supernatural, child and pet abuse, etc.

Does your family read your work?

Not really. My boyfriend’s family does, but my family is not into horror, nor really see me as a “writer.” My mom supports me and says that I have always been able to succeed at whatever I put my mind to, but she won’t read them because she hates anything scary or disgusting! lol

Does your writing make you uneasy?

It can. At times, I wonder how I am able to write about stuff that would normally scare or disgust me, but I know it’s fiction and what readers want, sort of an escapism for them. I write about things that I could never do in real life. (Revenge is quite sweet in fiction land! Bwahahaha!)

Who would you say you write like?

That’s a hard one. I’m not sure. There aren’t that many horror writers that are women, except in our amazing little community. I know I can say that I write like a male horror author, but I prefer to say that I write like me. I’m a bit weird, (my Hebrew name is Anat, which some pronounce as A nut!,) as we all are :P, so I love writing horror that has some thrills and shock in it, and even some humor, when applicable.

Who are your favourite authors?

The usual answers are Stephen King, Dean Koontz etc., but I love reading the works of my author friends, both newbies and veterans. Each has his/her own writing style, that one can not only admire, but also learn from. I also edit and proofread my boyfriend’s works, whose talent I admire to no end.

Who influences you as a writer?

I am completely and utterly in awe of all of my female friends that write. I know that I shouldn’t make the distinction between male and female writers, but unfortunately, that’s how it is. These women are strong, talented and awesome, and continue living their dream despite what anyone says. 
In addition, my boyfriend has several novels, novellas and short stories published, and yet he never ceases to amaze me with his knack for storytelling. Each work is different, scary, shocking and has an awesome storyline with twists you never see coming.

Do you remember what your first horror book was that you read?

Yes, I do! It was Sesame Street’s Golden book called” The Monster at the end of this Book,” starring Grover. Each page tested the reader by having Grover say- “Stop, don’t turn the page. There’s a monster at the end of this book!” I remember being so scared to turn the pages. I was young, but apparently I was also brave (after a while. Lol)

How old were you?

I would say I was around 5 or 6.

Is there any subject you will not touch as an author?

I absolutely abhor anything that has to do with rape, child molestation etc., but if it’s pertinent to the story, then yes, I would write about it. 

What was the best advice you were given as a writer?

Never give up. Even if all you get are rejections, keep going. If you believe in yourself, then it will happen. Everyone has gotten rejected, even King, and look where he is, so keep on trekking.

If you had to start all over again, what would you do different?

Maybe start writing a bit earlier in life, or read more books. I used to swallow books up when I was a child, reading them within hours. Today, I don’t do it as often as I’d like to.

How many books do you read a year?

Aside from my boyfriend’s novels that I edit and proofread, I tend to stick to short stories and anthologies because I try to get an idea of my friends’ and co-authors’ writing styles, as well as the works of people that I’ve never met or interacted with. I am aware that short stories are not necessarily indicative of how one writes, but I couldn’t possibly read that many novels in a year, even with a Kindle! Lol In addition, I also have a full-time job, and I edit and proofread for some other people, too.

Do you write every day?

No, I do not. I LOVE writing flash fictions and really short stories, but I do so mostly when there’s a place that is open for submissions and asks for certain topics. I always have a paper and pen available or a notepad on my phone, because random ideas come to me at anytime, particularly LATE at night, but I love having publishers assign themes for what they’re looking for. It makes it much easier for me to come up with a story. 
My dream of course is to eventually work up to writing a novel and having it published, but for now, I’m pretty happy with getting my shorter pieces accepted and published.



You can find me on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/sandy.shelonchik

My Twitter handle is: @brooklyngal517

I’m on Linked In as Sandy Shelonchik

I don’t have an Amazon page, but if you search my name, you will see some of the anthologies that I’m in, and some of the stories that I’ve edited.

I plan to have a blog site soon.

Thank you all for taking the time to read about me. 

XOXO, 


Sandy S.




No comments:

Post a Comment